Finding safe foods to eat while wearing braces isn’t always easy. Usually, it means forgoing many of your favorites because of the potential for damage to your aligners and brackets. However, you don’t have to go hungry or stick to boring or bland foods. Instead, an orthodontist has compiled some healthy recipes and delicious options you can expect to enjoy while undergoing treatment for a straighter smile.
Go-To Recipes for Delicious, Braces-Friendly Meals
If you’re looking for recipes that will keep you satisfied while wearing braces, you’ll be pleased to learn that the following offer healthy ingredients as well as easy-to-consume foods that don’t cause additional pressure and discomfort to your teeth.
- Tomato Avocado Salad – Full of flavor and beautiful colors, this quick and easy salad is coated in olive oil and lime juice, making it a healthy dish that fills your mouth and tummy. Because of the softness of the tomato and avocado, it’s easy on your braces, while the red onion and cucumbers added a slight bit of crunch.
- Homemade Mac & Cheese – This is an all-time favorite for anyone with braces. Soft, cheesy, and friendly for all ages, homemade mac & cheese is a great way to satisfy your inner child. While you have the option of choosing the boxed kind, you avoid many of the processed ingredients that are not good for your oral and overall health. Plus, it’s soft and creamy – two components that make wearing braces much easier.
- Pork & Pineapple Tacos – Although it might seem as if biting into a hard, crunchy shell isn’t a good idea while wearing braces, you’ll be pleased to learn that this recipe can be paired with tortillas for easier eating. With tender pork and pineapple chunks, you’ll enjoy an easy-to-chew meal that tastes delicious and is healthy for you, too.
- Smoothies – If you want to avoid chewing and biting down on foods, especially in the beginning, you can opt for fruit smoothies. From frozen blackberries and strawberries to raspberries and mango, sipping on your favorite smoothie will help to temporarily numb any discomfort while also filling your stomach.
What Other Foods Are Good to Eat?
Other delicious foods you can choose to incorporate into your daily plan include:
- Mashed potatoes
- Softened vegetables and fruit
- Ice cream
Finding the right foods will help to ensure that your braces remain firmly in place so that your teeth will move into proper alignment without issues.
About the Author
Dr. Jessica Cohen is the lead orthodontist who cares deeply about the state of patient’s smiles. Offering traditional braces to improve the alignment of a person’s teeth, she delivers safe and effective solutions that are designed to generate beautiful results. Whether you are starting your orthodontic journey or need help along the way, Dr. Cohen is here to deliver helpful tips to make life with braces much easier. Contact us by visiting our website.